Thursday, May 3, 2012

stand-off

It seemed like the only possible way I could find happiness today would be by giving the dog a bath.

He is coming from the opposite perspective, apparently.

I was over-confident, I think, because I succeeded in giving the cat a bath a couple of days ago. Which tends to be even less likely. And not only that, but it was at 10 pm after 13 hours of moving. And the cat was covered in what I can only describe as "fear fecal" from being transported to the new house in his despised carrier and trapped in a car for half an hour. And, again, not only that, but the cat carrier had also been dropped, so the cat was good and doused, as well as angry.

Yet I managed to give him a bath. And this mild-mannered dog of ours is winning the stand-off by a huge margin today. I'm sitting on the floor in the hallway where I lured him, just feet away from the fully prepped bathtub. And he's just about ten pounds too heavy for me to lift. I had some crazy idea that he would just hop into the tub the way he hops up into our bed when invited. Surely he would, because he's chewing on his paw even now, trying to get those elusive fleas. Which I could wash right off of him if only he would let me.

But, like so many of us, he doesn't know what's good for him. Or, more accurately, he has decided that what's good for him is not as much fun as being just a little bit miserable.

So, I guess we'll hang out crouched on the floor in the hallway. Just gazing at each other over our paws. That's fine. I literally have all day.


No comments:

Post a Comment